I always have fun making Hermione’s cable and eyelet hat. After the initial really boring ribbed brim, it goes really quickly.
Instead of a normal k1p1 rib on the brim, I do k1tbl p1 so the twisted knit stitch stands out more instead of stretching and distorting.
Instead of making a “child” or “adult” size, I go for an in-between because I find that the adult size is way too huge and the child size is way too small. The first time I did it on Amanda’s hat, I did the adult size as written and did the decreases like this:
R1: (k6, p2tog, p1, p2tog) around (90)
R2: (k6, p3tog) around (70)
From here out, just like the pattern, the first stitch gets knit together with the last stitch of each round.
R3: k2, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (k1, k2tog, k2, k2tog) around (50)
R4: k1, k3tog, k2tog, (k3tog, k2tog) around (20)
R5: k2tog around (10)
I bound off here instead of going down to 5 stitches.
You can cheat on k3tog by doing it this way:
k2tog, slip stitch back to left needle, slip next stitch over the k2tog stitch, slip stitch back to right needle.
It still felt a little big but it was better than it would have been. I forget exactly how I modified Grandma’s hat, but I let the top be a little bit longer and I dropped some rows in the hat itself. I need to make one more to straighten it out and then I’ll post it.
I had also made some crochet flowers for Amanda to pin onto her hat so she could change the look. Most of the pictures came out pretty crappy, but here are three of them anyway. I’m not sure what I did with the pictures of the other two. I’ll add them if I manage to find them. I never put them on Ravelry, either.